Remodelling your bathroom should be a pleasure, improving both the appearance and function of the space. However, bathroom remodel mistakes are often the result of focusing too much on trends and not enough on the function of your space. Here we list the four top bathroom remodel mistakes homeowners make and how to avoid them to create a beautiful and functional space.
1. Drastically Changing Bathroom Layout or Fixture Configuration
The minute you start changing the configuration of your bathroom layout and fixtures, you have to contend with the costs associated with rerouting and installing the pipes and toilet stack. The more you tear out and replace, the more it costs. By sticking to your original layout, you reduce plumbing costs and simplify the process. However, if you have to move fixtures, you can still reduce costs if you can avoid moving the toilet.
2. Renovating a Bathroom: What To Do First
Having a focal point in mind for your bathroom remodel helps the rest of the design fall into place. For the bathroom, it is important to consider the first thing you see when you enter the room. You really don’t want it to be the toilet unless absolutely necessary. Instead, you want a focal point such as a lovely vanity, a stunning tub, or even a design element like a custom mosaic floor or wall. You should consider what you want as your dominant feature and then you can develop a layout that allows the feature to shine.
3. Not Understanding Basic Bathroom Do’s and Don’ts
Do’s and don’ts make it easier to overcome possible issues and focus on the right things. Here are the basic bathroom do’s and don’ts to follow:
- Upgrade your bathroom vanity (unless it is an antique or original fixture you love)
- Waterproof your bathroom
- Have a slush fund to cover the costs of unexpected issues that might lie below
- Consider upgrades for the future depending on how long you’ll be in the home
- Look for eco-friendly products that could provide rebates or save water
- Add more storage to keep your bathroom organized
- Follow standard bathroom layout rules like avoiding packing a tiny bathroom with oversized vanities or tubs
- Consider the right gradient for drainage
- Install proper ventilation
- Remove the tub, even if you don’t use it and especially if you plan to sell your home
- Lay new tile over the old tile
- Choose unsuitable materials such as hardwood, laminate, or light coloured marbles that stain
- Overlook the functional elements of the bathroom when designing the layout
- Overlook task lighting
- Choose too specific a design scheme that might negatively impact your ROI (return on investment)
If you keep these do’s and don’ts in mind, you can increase your ROI, while still creating a stunning space you’ll enjoy.
4. Cutting Costs in the Wrong Areas
Unless you have a limitless budget, you’ll want to find opportunities to save money. However, you have to be careful where you choose to cut corners. For example, the last thing you want to do is splurge on expensive materials and fixtures only to discover your bathroom leaks or your tiles crack because of improper installation.
DIY often costs money in the end. Instead, get quotes from experts and then adjust your design element budget. Keep in mind bathroom remodelling experts get discounts and can save you money on materials. In the long run, you increase your ROI and reduce stress using a professional.
Your bathroom remodel should increase the value of your investment and the enjoyment of your home. To make sure the job is done right, reach out to a Baeumler Approved bathroom expert today.