Painting your home, on the inside or the outside, is one of the fastest ways to make it feel fresh and new. A professional quality paint job can radically alter how a room feels or your curb appeal by simply putting on a new coat of paint. Choosing your paint colour on the inside and outside of your home can be challenging, and so can the process of applying the paint. This quick guide will walk you through the basics and when you should look to professional painters for some support.
How to Choose Exterior Paint
Even those who feel confident choosing interior colours sometimes stress about the exterior colours. Here is a step-by-step guide on selecting the right shade:
- Define Your Project: What parts of your exterior are you painting?
- Assess Colour: What are the existing colours? Are they neutral, warm, or cold?
- Get Inspired: Look for inspiration online.
- Use Samples: Bring colour samples home to test, even paint some on the surface to see if you like it.
Exterior Wall Painting Process
In general, we recommend that you work with professional painters to get the best paint job for your home. The exterior painting process changes somewhat depending on which surfaces you are painting. However, the general process is as follows:
- Pressure wash the surfaces you’ll paint.
- Repair any areas that are damaged.
- Remove any chipped or loose paint.
- Add caulking where needed.
- Add protection for surfaces and objects that you don’t want covered in paint.
- Add the paint to the main surface you’re painting.
- Now add paint to trim and doors.
- Remove the protection once the paint is dry.
Painting outdoor surfaces can be challenging. If you are doing it yourself, it is critical to choose an exterior-grade paint that will work with the specific surface you’re painting. However, professional painters will still yield better results most of the time.
Interior Wall Styles
Choosing interior wall colour can be fun and exciting. But, when you get to the paint store and see all of those swatches, it can also be a little overwhelming. Here are a few ways to make it easier:
- Use the colour wheel.
- Develop a triad colour scheme.
- Pair neutrals and bolder colours.
- Look at inspiration online.
- Use colour scheme generators.
Remember to focus on the colours that you love or the colours of beloved objects in the room when making your choice.
How to Paint Interior Walls
Choosing a professional to paint your home will make the process faster and the final result higher quality. Working with a professional is always recommended as their skill and experience are evident in the quality of their work. Whether a professional or you are taking on the job, in general, the steps to paint your interior walls are:
- Clean the walls.
- Repair any damage.
- Prime the walls.
- Paint the walls.
Most of the quality of your paint job will depend on your paint product’s quality, whether you followed their instructions, and your actual brush and roller technique. A quality professional will have all of this covered for you.
Professional paint jobs provide better results than most homeowners can achieve on their own. Save the hassle, work and clean up. Find a quality painting contractor, who understands your needs here at Baeumler Approved.