Before you decide to undertake a complete custom home renovation, you need to know what the end goal is for your home. Are you renovating to raise the value of your home, or do you want to renovate your space so it becomes a ‘forever home’ where you’ll live for years to come? Having a specific plan in place for the future will help you decide how extensive your project will be.
The most important thing to do before committing to a full home renovation is to assess the condition of your current home. Consider getting a survey done or having specialists look into any areas of concern. This way, you can factor the cost of any repairs into your budget and avoid additional expenses you weren’t prepared for.
Six Tips To Help You Complete A Home Renovation Once you’ve made the commitment to move forward with your full home renovation, you may feel overwhelmed with the long list of decisions and planning that needs to take place. Here are some tips that can help make the process as smooth as possible.
1. Hire A Professional. A custom home renovation is a huge commitment. You want to work with contractors who have the experience and credentials to complete a project of this magnitude. When you’re on the hunt for a reputable contractor, ask lots of questions, ask for and contact references, and don’t be afraid to outline your expectations and your vision. And while you may be tempted to tackle parts of the project on your own, know that in many cases, hiring a contractor to do it right will save you time and money.
2. Build Your Budget. Not only do you need to build a budget that will allow you to complete the project as you envision it, but you also need a solid plan for how you will get those funds. Don’t leave talking to your bank or other lenders to the last minute, and be sure that you can comfortably borrow or access more than your project budget requires.
The total amount required for a project like this can seem like a lot, but remember why you’re undertaking the renovation and think ahead. You might regret cutting corners or not adding a feature you’ve always dreamed about.
3. Ask For Warranty Letters. Once you’ve selected your professional contractor and have your funding ready to go, things can start to move quickly! Before the work gets underway, ask for warranty letters from your contractor and subcontractors. These letters should outline how long the work and materials are guaranteed for.
4. Review All Your Invoices. Review all invoices as they come in and look for any discrepancies. As things can change quickly, invoices may not have been properly updated, and of course, anyone can make a mistake. If you find an error, bring it up before you pay and ask for clarification.
5. Make Use Of Written Communication. Communicate using email as much as you can, so that everything is tracked and can easily be referred back to. If something is not correct or different than what you asked, you can always refer to emails and verify.
6. It’s Okay To Make Changes. When you start seeing things come together, it may look different than you imagined. You might realize that you want a door in a different spot or a different layout. This is a natural part of a huge renovation and don’t be afraid to talk to your contractor about changes.
Remember, the end result should reflect what you want. You contractor will work with you to create the home of your dreams.
It All Starts With A Conversation Wondering how to turn your house into a new home? It starts by reaching out to a qualified contractor who can help you design and build the space you’ve dreamed about.
domilya GROUP is proud to offer a very customer focused approach married with our commitment to quality and precise attention to detail. We’d be happy to offer a complimentary consultation and share information on what we can do for you.