As electric vehicles (EVs) become increasingly popular, more homeowners are considering installing EV chargers at home. That said, installing a charger can be a complex and potentially hazardous task, so it is important to evaluate your options carefully. In this blog, we’ll explore what to consider when hiring an electrician for an EV charger installation, including factors such as safety, cost, and location.
Can I Install An EV Charger At Home?
In most cases, it is possible to install an EV charger at home as long as you have a suitable location to install it and your home’s electrical system is capable of supporting the charger. However, it is important to note that installing an EV charger involves working with electrical components and wiring, which can be dangerous if you are not trained or experienced in this area.
Will My Home’s Electrical System/Plan Need To be Upgraded To Support An EV Charger?
Your home’s electrical system may need to be upgraded to support an EV charger. For example, a level 2 charger installation will require a 240 V connection on a dedicated circuit. Additional factors that may require an upgrade include:
- The age and condition of your electrical panel
- The size and capacity of your electrical panel
- The current electrical load on your home
- The distance between your electrical panel and the location of the EV charger
If your home’s electrical system needs to be upgraded, it is important to have this work done by a qualified and experienced electrician.
Is It Safe To Install An EV Charger Myself, Or Should I Hire A Professional Electrician?
It is generally not recommended to attempt installing an EV charger yourself, as this can potentially be dangerous and may even damage your home or vehicle. Instead, it is best to hire a licensed electrician for your EV charger installation.
Do I Need A Permit To Install An EV Charger?
In many cases, a permit is required to install an EV charger. The requirements for obtaining a permit will vary depending on your community and the specific details of your installation. It is important to check with your local building authority to determine whether a permit is required and if so, to obtain the necessary paperwork before beginning the installation process.
How Do I Choose The Best Location For My EV Charging Point Installation?
When choosing a location for your EV charger, there are several factors to consider, such as:
- Proximity to your vehicle’s parking spot
- Access to an electrical outlet or circuit
- Convenience and ease of use
- Potential impact on the aesthetics of your home
Generally, you’ll want to install the charger as close as possible to your home parking spot, preferably indoors.
How Much Does It Typically Cost To Hire An Electrician For EV Charger Installation?
The cost of hiring an electrician for an EV home charger installation can vary widely depending on the location of the charger, the complexity of the installation, and the electrician’s hourly rate. On average, the cost of hiring an electrician for EV charger installation can range from $500 to $2,000 or more.
What Should I Ask An Electrician When Getting A Quote For A Car Charger Installation?
When getting a quote for your EV charger installation, it is important to ask the electrician certain questions to ensure that you get a fair and accurate quote. Some questions to consider asking include:
- What is included in the quote? (e.g. materials, labour, permit fees)
- Is the electrician licensed and insured?
- Does the electrician have experience installing EV chargers?
- What is the electrician’s hourly rate?
- Will the electrician provide a written contract outlining the scope of work and the total cost?
Asking these questions can help you understand the costs associated with EV charger installations and ensure that you are hiring a reputable professional.
How Can I Ensure That My EV Charger Installation Is Done Properly & Safely?
To ensure that your EV charger installation is done properly and safely, there are a few steps you can take:
- Hire a qualified and experienced electrician
- Obtain all necessary permits and approvals
- Follow all manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines
- Follow all local building codes and regulations
Taking these precautions can give you peace of mind that your EV charger installation is done safely and meets all necessary standards.
How Can I Check My Electrician’s Credentials?
It is important to ensure that you hire a qualified and reputable electrician for your EV charger installation. To check an electrician’s credentials, you can:
- Ask to see their license and insurance documents
- Check with your local licensing board or building department to verify their license
- Ask for references from past clients
- Check online reviews and ratings
Are There Any Government Incentives Or Tax Credits Available For EV Charger Installation?
Fortunately, there are many incentives and rebates available in Canada for EVs and EV charger installation. To find out what incentives are available in your area, you can check with your provincial government, utility company, or this online tool from CAA.
If you are considering installing an electric car charger at home, be sure to find a certified Canadian contractor through Baumler Approved. Our network of vetted, experienced professionals can help connect you with the right electrician for the job!